Hair oiling is now a must in hair care routines, but is it THE miracle solution for beautiful, strong, ruly, and healthy hair? We are here to explain everything to you!
Hair oiling: what is it?
Hair oiling is a treatment that can be done regularly as part of a natural hair care routine. It consists of applying vegetable oils to the scalp and dry hair and then leaving it on for up to a whole night to take care of your hair.
Why oil your hair?
Vegetable oils have many benefits. Besides moisturizing the hair, smoothing it, and reducing frizz, they also protect it from external aggressions such as cold, pollution, sun… Therefore, they are particularly suitable and appreciated by damaged and weakened hair!
This practice helps you regain supple, ruly, shiny, and soft hair in a simple and natural way while respecting your scalp.
Hair oiling: for whom?
“I have oily hair… is hair oiling a good idea?” Although this type of treatment is especially recommended for frizzy or very dry hair, anyone can do it, regardless of their hair type!
However, it would be more appreciated and effective with dry, damaged, or colored/bleached hair.
Just make sure you use the right oils for your hair for best results!
Although this treatment is very good for your hair, it is important not to overdo it and to give your hair a break. The frequency varies from person to person and depends on your needs and your hair. If you have oily hair, it is preferable to space out each treatment by doing it every ten days. For dry and damaged hair, you can oil your hair before each shampoo or at least once a week.
The most important thing is to be consistent and, above all, to listen to your body and your hair!
Which oil to choose?
Above all, the most important thing is to choose the right oil, the one adapted to your hair.
All oils can obviously be appropriate, but some are more suitable for certain hair types.
- Oily hair: Jojoba oil, hazelnut oil, macadamia oil, black seed oil, neem oil, sesame oil, or chaulmoogra oil are preferred.
- Dry and damaged hair: Argan oil, borage oil, castor oil, Abyssinian oil, baobab oil, cottonseed oil, desert date oil, avocado oil, wheat germ oil, or olive oil are best.
- Fine hair: The appropriate oils are passion fruit oil, grape seed oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil.
- Curly and frizzy hair: The most effective oils are Abyssinian oil, papaya oil, pequi oil, pracaxi oil, coconut oil, broccoli seed oil, castor oil, avocado oil, and shea butter.
- Normal hair: For normal hair, you can use apricot oil, sweet almond oil, argan oil, safflower oil, hemp oil, coconut oil, black seed oil, Brazil nut oil, olive oil, or macadamia oil.
Our Extreme Repair pre-shampoo balm to oil is a real cocktail of nutrients made up of 90% coconut, grapeseed, and sweet almond vegetable butter and oils.
As for our Extreme Repair mask, it is enriched with 11% coconut, jojoba, cranberry, and sunflower seed vegetable oils.
How to oil your hair?
You are ready to start, but you don’t know where to start? Don’t panic! We are going to explain and guide you, step by step, in preparing your natural and/or organic oil treatment at home:
- First of all, comb out your hair to remove tangles and any impurities.
- Then, try to dose the amount of vegetable oil or butter correctly. Dry hair absorbs more oil than hair that tends to be oily. Of course, this also depends on how thick and long your hair is.
- Depending on the texture of the product, take a small amount of vegetable butter and heat it in the palm of your hands until it melts completely, becoming an oil. If the product has an oily texture, place a few drops in the palm of your hands and rub them to heat the oil.
- Afterward, apply the oil to your hair mid-length to ends with your fingertips. We suggest you simply run your fingers through your hair, like a comb, and distribute the product strand by strand.
- Please note that the hair should be shiny, covered with a thin layer of oil but should not be dripping in any way. Perhaps, you may need some time before learning how to correctly dose the quantity of oil to apply according to your hair.
- As for the scalp, gently massage it with your fingertips in circular motions. This allows the oil to penetrate the scalp, but it also helps activate circulation and promote hair growth.
- Then, leave it on for at least 20 minutes. To do this, wrap your hair in a warm towel and wait. For best results, leave it on overnight (making sure you cover your hair with a towel or headscarf and protect your pillows to prevent staining them).
- All you have to do is rinse thoroughly and use a natural shampoo to wash your hair.
You can oil your hair by using either our Extreme Repair pre-shampoo balm to oil or oil elixir by ELENATURE. The choice is yours, depending on the condition of your hair and your desires!